Ursula Frayne – Learning
Mother Ursula Frayne led a group of courageous Irish women, Mercy sisters, in sailing to Australia in 1845.
She established the first convent school in Western Australia in 1846 in the Convent of the Holy Cross. Begun as a free school, it was to cater for girls of any religious creed. Starting with one student in February 1846 it grew to an enrolment of 100 by August. This was the beginning of Mercy education in Western Australia.
Today the Sisters of Mercy work in many countries, dedicated to serving people who suffer from injustices related to poverty, sickness or lack of education.
In naming the Learning Pillar after Ursula Frayne we honour her as a woman who challenged each person to achieve their personal best in an environment which valued the respect and dignity of each person.
The House logo
The Mercy Cross is at the heart of the logo of Frayne House. The shamrock reflects Ursula Frayne’s Irish roots, the boat her courageous journey to the Swan River Colony. Ursula Frayne represents the Learning pillar and her key role in the journey of Catholic education is symbolised by the book.